A place where special needs are met…
Strong Focus | Great Results
2017 is shaping up to be a year of tremendous change for Glenora Farm, bringing new challenges and opportunities for exciting growth.
Last year we began construction of a 40’ x 50’ vegetable sorting and storage facility which was built for us by a group from the carpentry program at Vancouver Island University. It is so grand that we have named it “Harvest Hall”. The inside has yet to be completed, however, we regularly use it to sort and distribute vegetables and for events. A grant from Camphill Foundation enabled us to bring hydro to the building and recently we installed a 10′ x 12′ cooler with the support of a grant from First West Foundation and a gift in kind from Simply Pure Ice and Water. We furnished the cooler with stainless steel shelving purchased through proceeds from the Sobey’s/Thrifty’s Smile Card Program.
Next, we plan to build a new septic system so we can install a processing kitchen and bathroom/showers. We’re just beginning the design a farm house and the septic system will service both the new house and Harvest Hall.
We constructed 9 – 60 foot windrows of compost and created a large composting field. The windrows are covered with a breathable membrane fleece for moisture, temperature and nutrient control.
At the beginning of the year, we drafted a practical vision for the next 3-5 years and a set of specific actions to complete over the next year.
We have a number of projects underway and more planned. Some of these projects include, in no particular order:
- Increasing our greenhouse and garden production to feed our community and expand into the larger community.
- Developing an orchard.
- Strengthening the farm aspects of our operation, including the fertility of the soil, hay fields, forest management, sheep, cattle and chickens
- Designing and building a Farm House for our farm workers, and in the future, two new houses for companions and coworkers
- Completing Harvest Hall with bathroom and commercial kitchen. This will also allow us to expand our day program.
Our Wish List
We welcome contributions towards items that will help us with these projects, including:
- Electric irrigation pump to ensure consistent and sufficient water for the garden.
- In-row cultivator tool to reduce hand weeding in the field.
- A walk behind two-wheel tractor for tilling, mowing, harrowing to increase efficiency in planting and cultivation.
- Furnishings (eg stainless tables, benches, sink) for vegetable wash and pack processing.
- Harvest Hall needs light fixtures, insulation, wall coverings, bathroom with shower, commercial kitchen, septic system.
A big thank you to all of our supporters. Together we are creating a very special place.