A place where special needs are met…
Strong Focus | Great Results
2017 is shaping up to be a year of tremendous change for Glenora Farm, bringing new challenges and opportunities for exciting growth.
Last year we began construction of a 40’ x 50’ vegetable sorting and storage facility which was built for us by a group from the carpentry program at Vancouver Island University. It is so grand that we have named it “Harvest Hall”. The inside has yet to be completed, however, we used it for our 2015 Christmas Fair and regularly use it to sort and distribute vegetables. Next, we plan to bring hydro to the building and furnish it with coolers, freezers, a processing kitchen and bathroom/showers.
Other projects we completed over the past year are an outside entrance/exit to the upstairs of the southwest wing of the Big House; visitors can now climb the beautiful new staircase and enter the music room directly without having to go through the house.
We put up a 16’ x 80’ shed for wood storage and started construction on a gazebo and cover for a pizza oven. Work is ongoing in Trillium and our next task is to drywall and paint the interior.
We constructed several windrows of compost and created a large composting field. The windrows required fleece covers for moisture, temperature and nutrient control and this has been completed.
At the beginning of the year, we drafted a practical vision for the next 3-5 years and a set of specific actions to complete over the next year.
Some of the projects we have underway include, in no particular order:
- Focus on building up the soil including construction of composting piles
- Starting a sheep dairy – we have a small herd of East Friesian sheep arriving in September
- Renovating our barn to accommodate the sheep
- Building up a herd of Dexter cows
- Expanding the garden and greenhouse production
- Finalizing our 10-year master plan to include the construction of a farm house and two new houses for companions and caregivers
Our Wish List
- A walk behind two wheel tractor for tilling, mowing, harrowing. Attachments wanted are rotary harrow, rotary plow, mower, sickle bar mower, baler
- Compost water injection system with water wagon for compost field
- Harvest Hall needs:
- Commercial double stainless sink with drainboard
- walk in cooler
- vegetable storage and processing facility
- A renovated chicken coop with electric mesh fence
- 50 comfortable stacking chairs for the Trillium meeting space
A big thank you to all of our supporters!